Birch Hills Memorial Museum

Preview Access

A private working concept for the Historical Society board. Not the public site.

7 Wilson Street · Birch Hills, Saskatchewan

The town's old hospitalstill takes visitors.

For forty-two years this building cared for Birch Hills. Since 1996 it has held the town's memory instead — room by room, in the same rooms where it all happened.

1951Opened as the Memorial Union Hospital
1993Acute-care funding withdrawn province-wide
1996Reopened as the district museum
275+Plaques on the Centennial Memorial Wall
The Building

A hospital that never
stopped serving the town.

The Birch Hills Memorial Union Hospital opened in 1951. The word Union in its name was not decorative — it described how the building came to exist. Under Saskatchewan's Union Hospital Act, neighbouring municipalities pooled their limited tax bases to build and run a hospital none of them could have afforded alone. This building was raised by a district, not by a single town.

In April 1993, the province withdrew acute-care funding from fifty-two small rural hospitals. Birch Hills was among them. Three years later the local governing bodies made the building and its grounds available to a newly formed historical society, and the doors opened again.

Everything in this museum sits inside a room that used to do something else. That is not an accident of the building — it is the reason the collection is worth visiting in person.

Building Record 7 WILSON ST
Built
1951, as the Birch Hills Memorial Union Hospital
Model
Saskatchewan union hospital — funded jointly across municipalities
Service
42 years of care for the town and surrounding district
Closed
Following the province's April 1993 rural hospital decision
Reopened
1996, as the home of the Birch Hills & District Historical Society
Today
Six themed exhibit rooms, a heritage acreage, and a basement thrift shop
The Tour

Walk the halls.

The museum is laid out the way the hospital was. Choose a room from the plan — or from the cards below — and step inside.

M A I N C O R R I D O R ENTRANCE 01 Hospital Ward 02 Agricultural 03 Household 04 War Veterans 05 Arts & Crafts 06 Taxidermy 07 History Library 08 · MEMORIAL WALL
Swipe the plan to explore · Illustrative layout — actual rooms to be confirmed on a walkthrough
ROOM 01

Hospital Ward

The room that explains the building. Preserved as a ward, it holds the story of the forty-two years this place spent as the district's hospital.

Our History

Two hundred years of birch hills.

The hills south of town gave the place its name long before there was a town to name. This is the record, as the community has kept it.

The Canoe Country

1763 — 1840
1763–64
Seventy-three canoes. Hudson's Bay Company trader Joseph Smith winters in the area and assembles seventy-three canoes — built with birch cut from these hills — for the return journey to York Factory.
1785
Fort des Isles is built west of Fenton by the North West Company.
c. 1790
James Curtis Bird, later a Hudson's Bay Chief Factor, is believed to have collected large sheets of birch bark here.
after 1840
The canoe trade fades as Red River carts and the Carlton Trail take over. The hills fall quiet for four decades.

Harperville & Harperview

1880s — 1906
early 1880s
Charles George Bird — grandson of James Curtis Bird — settles in the birch hills with his five sons, just south of the present townsite.
c. 1882–84
William Harper settles on a quarter southwest of town. The settlement becomes known as Harperville; a grist mill is built and the first Methodist service is held.
1895
The Harperview post office opens. William Stevens serves as postmaster for fifteen years.
1904
H.O. Halverson opens the first grocery store — and the Halversons become the first family to live on the present townsite.
1905
The railway arrives, and with it settlers from Ontario, the United States, Norway and across Europe. Carl Beedy is the first station agent. St. Saviour's Anglican Church is built.
1906
A town appears almost at once: the Premier Hotel, H.A. Wilson's general store, Tommy Johnston's blacksmith shop, Fred Gerber's lumber yard, the Scott Bros. flour mill, H. James' harness shop, the first grain elevator under buyer Alex Graham, and Dr. G.N. Giles' drug store and medical practice. Mrs. Anne Simpson teaches the first public school.

The Village Years

1907 — 1950
1907
Birch Hills is incorporated as a village.
1908
The creamery is built — described as the largest in the province under government supervision. It takes first prize for butter at the 1909 Regina Fall Fair. Harperview School has twenty-six students.
1909
A season worth remembering: wheat averages 42½ bushels an acre, oats ninety. A quarter section south of town sells for $4,000.
1911–12
The RM of Birch Hills No. 460 is incorporated and organized, with J. Sutcliffe as first Reeve and J.R. Taylor as secretary-treasurer. Tarves Hall opens as the centre of commerce and entertainment.
1915–19
A four-room brick public school, the Bank of Commerce, the Agricultural Society under president Andrew Jamieson, first fire chief Bill Blackadder, and druggist Earl Lumley — who would serve the town for thirty-five years.
1922–27
St. Mary's Anglican Church opens. High school teaching begins under principal J.H. Frazer. A closed-in skating rink is built and the electric light bylaw passes.
1947
J.R. Taylor retires after thirty-five years as RM secretary-treasurer and twenty years as MLA. The New England Memorial Hall is built.

The Hospital Era

1951 — 1993
1951
The Birch Hills Memorial Union Hospital opens at 7 Wilson Street — the building this museum now occupies.
1954–59
The golf course opens. Natural gas is installed.
1960
Birch Hills becomes a town, with Phil Sampson as its first mayor.
1961
Water and sewer are installed and officially opened by Premier W.S. Lloyd. The four-sheet curling rink opens the same year.
1963–66
The composite high school is completed; the civic centre opens.
1983
Birchview Nursing Home opens with thirty beds, alongside the hospital.
1993
The province withdraws acute-care funding from fifty-two rural Saskatchewan hospitals. Birch Hills is named among them.

A Museum in the Ward

1996 — today
1996
Four groups become one. The old Birch Hills Historical Society, the Vintage Machinery Club, the Birch Hills History Book committee and Homecoming '90 merge to form the Birch Hills & District Historical Society, under the mandate "Striving to Preserve our Heritage." The local governing bodies make the former hospital and its grounds available to them.
since
Six themed exhibit rooms, a heritage acreage with a log barn, a restored milk house and a station siding, a lending library of more than two hundred Saskatchewan local histories, and a Centennial Memorial Wall carrying over 275 plaques.
every June
Learning Our Heritage Day — an award-winning program run with the school, bringing heritage alive for students, parents and grandparents.
2nd Sunday
of August
Threshing Day & Family Fun Day — the Society's largest event of the year.
A note on sources Dates and names on this page are drawn from the Town of Birch Hills' published history, the RM of Birch Hills No. 460, and the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. Deeper family and community detail lives in Birch Hills (Harperview) Coolidge Heatherdell: the People and the History (Birch Hills History Committee, 1990) — the Society's own book, and the source we would work from next.
The Faces Who Built This Town

The people who remember are
on the same street.

The seniors' residence sits a short walk from the museum's front door. Between those two buildings live the last people who can describe Birch Hills before the highway, before the water lines, before the hospital that this museum now occupies.

This is a filmed interview series, recorded on site and preserved permanently — the single most time-sensitive part of everything proposed here. Every conversation not recorded is a piece of the town's history that leaves with the person who carried it.

Worth exploring: partnering with the school so senior students help conduct the interviews as a class project — and an open invitation for anyone to send in written memories, not only those filmed.

Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
01

What was growing up in Birch Hills like?

02

What has changed for the better?

03

What do you wish had stayed the same?

04

What would you tell someone younger about this town?

In Their Own Voice

Every room, narrated by
someone who knows it.

A code on the wall of each room opens that room's page on the visitor's own phone and starts a short audio tour — recorded not by a computer, but by a volunteer, a board member, a longtime resident.

Years from now, that recording will not be a description of the collection. It will be part of it.

1:48
ROOM 01 · HOSPITAL WARD
Narrated on site — sample placeholder

Each room carries a printed code. Scan it standing in the room, and the room tells you about itself.

Visit

Come and see it.

The museum is open two days a week, and by appointment any other day. The website is open always.

Visitor Information
Address
7 Wilson Street, west end of McCallum Avenue
Birch Hills, Saskatchewan · Box 693, S0J 0G0
Wednesday
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Other days
Private and group tours by appointment
Telephone
306-749-2262 · 306-960-9937
Email
bhmuseum@sasktel.net
Access
Wheelchair accessible. Lunchroom and kitchen available, seating up to 100.
Thrift shop
In the lower level — clothing and household articles
On the grounds The heritage acreage holds restored agricultural machinery, a log barn, a restored milk house and a station siding. At the front entrance, the Centennial Memorial Wall carries over 275 plaques honouring the pioneers and community builders of the district, with murals and memorial books telling their stories.
Request a Private Tour

Groups, families, classes and researchers all welcome. Tell us roughly when, and someone will be in touch.

Contact details submitted here are used only to reach you back. They are never published on this site.

Get Involved

A museum runs on its volunteers.

Everything here was assembled, catalogued and kept by people from this district, on their own time.

01

Volunteer

Front desk, thrift shop, grounds, events, cataloguing. Any amount of time is useful — and every volunteer is recorded on the Society's own history page.

02

Share a Story

A memory, a photograph, a name we should know. Written, recorded or told over coffee at the museum.

03

Become a Member

Memberships support the Society directly and keep the doors open two days a week.

04

Donate

The Society is a registered charity, so gifts can be receipted for tax purposes.

The Volunteer Legacy Wall

The Centennial Memorial Wall already honours the people who built this district. This site extends that idea forward: a permanent page for every volunteer and board member — their name, their years of service, and what they contributed.

When a room's audio tour is narrated by one of them, their name links here. They stop being anonymous voices and become part of the record they helped preserve.

Striving to Preserve our Heritage. Mandate of the Birch Hills & District Historical Society, adopted 1996
Centennial Memorial Wall — 275+ plaques